Tuesday 16 December 2014

A Weekend in Tallinn

I had a great time during my recent trip to Estonia. As always I returned home with wonderful memories, kilos of Estonian black bread and of course there are the photographs! Visiting Tallinn is a must during the lead up to Christmas, it's a magical, enchanting place that easily captures the heart. Usually after a trip to Tallinn, visitors simply can't wait to go back - there are so many wonderful things to discover! I'll be back in Tallinn again in next to no time!

Here are some highlights of my trip.

Simply wonderful! 
The Tallinn Christmas Market appears to be getting better and better with each passing year!

Much joy and merriment has taken place on this stage.

The perfect Christmas market -  cosy, inviting and delightful!

Some of the Estonian handmade goods on offer.

Happy Santas  - sure to bring a smile to everyone's face.

I love these doll magnets dressed in the national costume.

I didn't spend all my time in the city centre during my trip. I like to do new things too!
 On the agenda was a trip to the Estonian History Museum. 
(Formerly Maarjamäe Castle)
It's definitely worth a visit!

A few minutes walk from the main building is the old stables that now houses a new exhibition. 'The German Occupation of Estonia 1941-1944'. 
The exhibition opened on December 4.

I found the Estonian History Museum quite fascinating. 
One of the many things that caught my attention are these posters from the 1930s that encouraged people with German surnames to change them to Estonian names. A book with suggested Estonian names and spellings was also on display. 

During this time many people Estonianised their surnames. My family included.

Couldn't resist another trip to the Christmas Market!

The Tallinn Christmas Market is great by day, magical at night!

No trip to Tallinn is complete without a snapshot from here!